My research is concerned with applied inkjet printing, which contributes to areas as diverse as tissue engineering, printed electronic devices and 3D scaffold printing of e.g. swimming devices for biomedical applications. Inkjet printing is an additive manufacturing technique. I am an enthusiastic researcher, who enjoys research and supervising / mentoring. I particularly aspire to create new projects that combine several different discipline areas.
It is my future vision to develop new versatile biomaterials and the technologies needed to produce these in order to develop better 3D scaffold systems for use in biomedical applications e.g. regenerative tissue engineering as well as biosensing for disease and toxin monitoring. These address key healthcare challenges as well as environmental monitoring, challenges our society urgently needs to address. Another aspect in line with this is that I am very interested to investigate effects of electronic signals and stimulations of cells.
Recent Research News:
Check out our recent publication on Bacterial Cellulose: discussing its vast applications! 2021
Download and read here! DOI
Sustainable production of Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) via bacterial fermentation
- In October 2016 David was awarded his PhD at the University of Sheffield on “Catalytic Micromotors”
- MSc in Bionanotechnology in July 2011 a degree ran jointly between the University of Sheffield and Leeds University
- In July 2010 BSc (Dual Honours) in Biochemistry and Music at Keele University
- In July 2007 BSc (Honours) in Physics with Astrophysics and Cosmology at Lancaster University
Professional and External Standing
|April 2019||SURE||Investigating the collective motion of catalytically active micromotors in 3D printed flow cell designs.||£2750|
|May 2019||SURF||Silk/PEG biogels for reactive inkjet printing and 3D tissue enigneering – for the production of rockets||£1850|
|May 2019||SURF||Silk/PEG biogels for reactive inkjet printing and 3D tissue enigneering – for the production of cell culture scaffolds||£1850|
- BioMedEng, Member of Association of Biomedical Engineers, Medical Engineers and Bioengineers
- TERMIS, Member of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society
- MInstP, Member of the Institute of Physics
- MMRS, Member of the Materials Research Society
- PSI, Member of Passiflora Society International
- OSGB, Member of The Orchid Society of Great Britain
- 2016 Best poster E-MRS (Symposium: Adv. Materials for Printing) May 2016, Lille (France)
- 2014 PixeLink SDK camera software sponsored by PixeLink®
- 2013 PGR conference Sheffield University First Prize for best Poster
- 2012 Three year PhD EPSRC Stipend at Sheffield University (2012-2015)
- 2011 One year MSc Studentship at Sheffield University (2010-2011)
Outstandinng postdoc nominations 2021
I would like to thank everybody who nominated me as an outstanding Postdoc in 2021 you can see all the nominations here!
Previous Summer Project Research Group (2019)
Within the Zhao lab I ran a small summer project research group with three dedicated undergraduate students that worked on three projects for me with great results!
Summer Project Students
- Ajay Chandel [SURE project]
- Ella Cliff [SURF project]
- Mobarakshah Assadi [SURF project]
Teaching Certificates and Experience
- Fellow Higher Education Academy (FHEA) (2019)
- Associate SuperVisionaries: successful completion of a formally assessed doctoral supervisor development framework (24h total) combining experiential practice, peer-observation, classroom learning, and self-directed reflective study (2019).
Experience and Expertise
- PhD Student Mentoring Program
- Teaching first year undergraduate Students in practical labs.
- Supervision and teaching of several master and undergraduate project students
- Supervision of 8 PhD students in the Lab as well as support with writing and project planning / experimental design and troubleshooting
Industrial Work Experience
- 01.12.11 – 31.03.2012 – Abbott Products GmbH, Hans Böckler Allee 20, Hanover, D-30173, Germany: 4 months working in the Department of Enzyme Research: Development of an amylase assay for enzyme determination in various matrices.
- 20.07.10 – 17.09.2010 – Abbott Products GmbH, Hans Böckler Allee 20, Hanover, D-30173, Germany: 2 months working in the Department of Enzyme Research.
- 22.06.09 – 21.08.2009 – Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Hans Böckler Allee 20, Hanover, D-30173, Germany: 2 months working in the Department of Enzyme Research.
- 16.06.08 – 15.08.2008 – Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Hans Böckler Allee 20, Hanover, D-30173, Germany: 2 months in Dept. Med. Chem., synthesis and purification of various compounds.
- 15.07.06 – 29.09.2006 – Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Hans Böckler Allee 20, Hanover, D-30173, Germany: 2 months in Dept. Drug Formulation Development: A Project to Investigate the water content and sorption properties of Pancreatin.
Piano/organ, composition, photography, astronomy, electronics, 3D cad design and prototyping, breeding and cultivating orchids, passionflowers and water lilies, mineralogy, Chinese and Japanese languages.